14 June 2012

The Song of My Rope


I once had the willing describers of Hope
Come knocking at night on my door
To what cause?
I was not the one at the end of my rope
Nor was I breaking the laws
But here in the night came the knocking, the same
Pulling me out of my bed
I went to the door and I looked through the lock
But I all I could see was in red
Oh, all I could see was in red
The wind called me outside, but I stayed within
I could not pretend yet to care
For anything outside my lover's embrace
Or just the soft scent of her hair
I whistled the night all the while from my bed
Knowing that I was alone
While outside, the wind was whistling as well
Alone, just as alone as I
Oh, where will I sleep to be rid of this wind 
Come knocking around at my door?
Oh, how can I hope to be rid of this wind
And not end up on the floor,
Bruised and disheveled some more?
Oh, to stay off of the floor
Please do not open the door
I've fixed myself a chariot of gold
And I've kept it right here all the while
I'll ride it and be gone forever, I swear
And go where there's no one for miles
To cut my rope or hold to the chair.

No comments: